San Francisco. The executive of the giantsFarhan Zaidi, said that the club expressed its concern to the representative of Carlos Correa as soon as a problem arose with the shortstop’s physical that led to the termination of the deal.
Zaidi, San Francisco’s president of baseball operations, spoke publicly Friday for the first time since Correa’s $350 million, 13-year contract expired Dec. 20.. An introductory press conference was canceled about three hours before it was to begin. Correa and agent Scott Boras then reached a new deal with the Mets for $315 million and 12 years.
“I was on the phone with Scott Boras on the Monday that we did Carlos’s physical when his plane landed in San Francisco at 5:00 p.m. and those conversations continued from that point, so any suggestion that this was something of the last time is just not accurate,” Zaidi said on a video call with a small group of reporters. “As soon as we had information we shared it. We have a good working relationship with Scott Boras and his agency.”
Zaidi confirmed that the Giants and Correa’s camp had “a difference of opinion about the physical.”
The differing opinions concerned a right ankle injury and surgery in 2014 when the player was playing Class A, according to a person with direct knowledge of the negotiations who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity due to privacy rules. Correa’s deal with the Mets is being held back by similar concerns.
Zaidi said it’s important and standard front office practice to “show them the respect of reporting any concerns immediately and not waiting until the last possible second.” He maintained that he has a good relationship with Boras.
In fact, the Giants were close to finalizing a two-year, $36 million contract with outfielder Michael Conforto, another Boras client who already had a successful physical.
Since Correa’s contract with New York has not yet been finalized, San Francisco “has had some conversations since then” with Boras, according to Zaidi.but “at this point they are focused on an agreement elsewhere, so I think that the possibility of entering into a negotiation with us at this time is quite unlikely.”
In addition, Zaidi wanted to emphasize to the Giants’ fan base that each decision was made as a group, not by any one individual.
“One thing I would like to make clear and I think it’s really important to us as an organization that our fans hear from me and hopefully believe that our organization was totally unified every step of the way as this played out.” Said Zaidi. “In the initial contact, in the negotiation and in what unfortunately happened later.”
Zaidi has faced criticism after missing out on Aaron Judge and then Correa. While Zaidi called it a “frustrating situation” for everyone involved, he is trying to keep everything in perspective, noting: “This is baseball, I feel very lucky to be in this job, I love it, I love the responsibility that comes with it.. And part of my responsibility is to support and encourage other people when things don’t go your way and not dwell on the negative.”