Two Electrical substations from a county of North Carolina were damaged by shots in what is being investigated as a Criminal offensecausing damage that could take days to repair and leaving tens of thousands of people without electricityauthorities reported on Sunday.
In response to the blackouts, which began shortly after 7 p.m. Saturday at various points in the moore countythe authorities announced a state of emergency which included a curfew from 9 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday. Additionally, county schools will remain closed on Monday.
“An attack like this against critical infrastructure is a felony and intentionaland I hope state and federal authorities fully investigate and bring those responsible to justice,” the governor tweeted. Roy Cooper.
Moore County Sheriff, Ronnie FieldsHe said at a press conference on Sunday that the authorities have not yet determined the motives. He noted that someone stopped and “opened fire on the substation, and the same thing happened with the other one.”
“No group has come forward to acknowledge or accept its responsibilityFields commented. “We are looking at all possibilities.”
The police chief stressed that the fbi collaborates with state investigators to determine who was the author. He also assured that it was “something focused”.
“It wasn’t random”, he indicated.
Fields said police forces are providing security at substations and businesses overnight.
“Tonight we will have elements working 24 hours a day,” Fields said.
About 36,000 clients in the county continued without light on Sunday afternoon, according to the website poweroutage.us.
With forecasts of low temperatures by Sunday night, the county also set up a hostel in a sports complex Carthage.
The spokesman for Duke Energy, Jeff Brookyes, indicated that several pieces of equipment were damaged and will need to be replaced. He said that although the company tries to resume service as soon as possible, he warned customers about the possibility that blackouts last for days.
“We have a pretty sophisticated repair of some fairly large equipment ahead of us, so we want local residents to be prepared for the fact that it will be a multi-day repair for many of the customers, possibly through Thursday,” Brooks said. at the press conference.
The county school superintendent, Dr. Tim Locklear, announced that Monday classes were canceled.
“From this point on, we’ll be looking at the situation on a day-to-day basis to make those decisions,” Locklear said.
The newspaper The Pilot in Southern Pines reported that one of its reporters saw a damaged substation gate lying in an access road.
“It was evident that a post supporting the gate had been cut off at ground level. The substation infrastructure was seriously damaged,” the newspaper reported.
the county of some 100,000 inhabitants It is located about an hour’s drive southwest of raleigh and is known for its golf clubs in Pinehurst and other communities.
(With information from The Associated Press)