On November 18, the XVI National Congress to Rationalize Spanish Hours closed, an event organized and promoted by ARHOE-National Commission for the Rationalization of Spanish Hours with the support of CaixaBank, Reale Seguros, Pfizer, Sending Transporte Urgente, Ifma Spain, Co-responsible and Madrid City Council (Retiro District). At the meeting, which took place over four days, they reflected on labor flexibility, the 4-day shift, the role of women in the company, work-life balance and the impact of hours on people, among other topics .
In total, the congress had 40 speakers and more than 250 people from the business, media, political, educational, health, union and society fields. Below we analyze the conclusions that have been reached in the various areas discussed.
WORK FLEXIBILITY AND 4-DAY WORKING DAY AND HEALTH IN THE CORPORATE FIELD
Companies are realizing the importance of taking care of aspects such as work-life balance and the mental health of workers, putting more and more the focus on the individual and their personal circumstances instead of on the anonymous community.
- Taking better care of spaces and measures for work is a strategic measure “of health” in organizations.
- The introduction of teleworking and the impact of new technologies make it necessary to bet on a digital disconnection so as not to harm social relationships.
- The culture of wellness and health should be a strategy to be followed by companies.
- The 4-day workday can lead to excess hours that can affect employee productivity and health. It is necessary to assess pilot experiences from other countries prior to landing in Spain.
SDG AND RATIONAL SCHEDULES, WOMEN AND BUSINESS
- Sustainability must be understood from an environmental point of view, but also social and human.
- The aim must be to achieve a rational use of time that allows us to develop at all levels and be happy.
- Need to allow women access to qualified training in the technological field to facilitate their incorporation into the labor market.
- Co-responsibility instead of conciliation. The division of tasks is essential for the development of all the components of the couple.
- There has been a decline in roles during the pandemic in which the harmed have been women.
EDUCATION AND CONCILIATION, ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF THE SCHEDULE CHANGE
- The responsibility of educating cannot be left to schools.
- The consideration of technology as an instrument that can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on its use.
- The importance of investing in quality family time.
- It is essential to recover the face-to-face time of parents in the school environment.
- Importance of the convergence of working hours with school hours.
- There is no economic justification for the time change.
- There is no scientific article that says that time change is good for health and sleep.
POST COVID EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE, TOWARDS A CONCILIATION STATE AGREEMENT, AND IMPACT ON PEOPLE
- Flexible leadership that emotionally accompanies teams is especially important.
- The reorganization of the spaces must be flexible to generate a value proposition both for employees and for attracting new talent.
- The office must become a space for connection and collaboration.
- The effects of work are negative when there is excess load or little time to do it. Longer time of exposure to work causes an increase in accidents, stress or loss of social relationships.
- Flexibility and being able to respond to various needs, schedules, and vital interests is essential. Prioritize people and focus on results, abandoning the criteria of presence and permanence in the schedule.
Congress closed Long Angel, as Vice President of ARHOE and Ignacio Buqueras and Bach.- President of the Association for the Diffusion and Promotion of the World Heritage of Spain, Honorary President of ARHOE and the Independent Foundation.