Government endorses extradition of doctor who would have defrauded hundreds of families with a ‘ghost’ building in Miami

The Government of President Gustavo Petro has just given the green light to the extradition of the anesthesiologist Carlos Elías Mahecha, who is requested in extradition by the United States after a scam in which several investors were left waiting for the construction of a “ghost” building in Florida .

Mahecha was asked for extradition by a Florida court in the middle of the process that is carried out for fraud in the construction of the Quarzo Bal Harbor project, a construction located in one of the most exclusive areas of Miami, United States.

The purpose of the project was to remodel three apartment towers in Bal Harbor (Miami) to turn them into a luxurious five-star hotel from which investors would profit by renting or selling the apartments. One of them worked and the others never saw the light.

In this business, the person involved, who has a red Interpol circular and is required by the authorities of the Southern District of Floridawould have acquired property and real estate through loans and promissory notes for more than US$22 million.

According to the findings of the Florida authorities, the Quarzo Bal Harbor hotel project, which would be illegally associated, “managed to defraud around 150 investors of US$40 million, using false statements to request investments in real estate.”

Barely two weeks ago, the Supreme Court of Justice had already endorsed the extradition of Mahecha, by “favourably appraising said request.”

“The Chamber is of the opinion that the request for the extradition of the Colombian citizen Carlos Elías Mahecha Díaz, formulated by the Government of the United States of America, it is in accordance with the law and, consequently, said request will be considered favorably”, specifies the presentation of magistrate José Francisco Acuña, known by SEMANA.

According to this presentation, Mahecha is “required to appear on trial in the United States for crimes related to fraud and conspiracy to commit a crime. He is the subject of an Indictment in Case No. 19-20738 CR-COOKE/GOODMAN, entered on November 5, 2019, in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.”

With this documentation in order, the Ministry of Justice made the decision in the last few hours, with a resolution signed by Minister Néstor Osuna, to give the green light to this extradition.

Mahecha Díaz had been captured in February 2021, in a National Police operation, in coordination with the Prosecutor’s Office, in coordination with the Attorney General’s Office, they carried out the capture of the Colombian businessman for extradition purposes.

Within the framework of the investigations that took place to find the whereabouts of the renowned Colombian businessman, the National Police assured that in addition to the exchange of judicial information that it held with the National Central Office of Interpol in Washington, “it was necessary to use security location, surveillance and follow-up, consultation in public and private databases and the analysis of interception of communications by judicial order”.

Thus, Carlos Mahecha Díaz was placed at the disposal of the Directorate of International Affairs of the Office of the Attorney General of the Nation, the authority that was in charge of continuing the extradition process.

Source link

About Admin

Check Also

Adriana Meza Torres: the alleged wife of the son of Chapo Guzmán – People – Culture

The capture of Ovidio “El ratón” Guzmán, son and successor of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *