Cuba withdraws accreditation from EFE journalists. Then it returns two credentials

The Cuban regime withdrew the accreditations of all journalists and photographers from the Spanish news agency EFE on Saturday, a decision that was issued two days before the march called by civil society for November 15, but returned the credentials on Sunday. two of them, reported that media.

Atahualpa Amerise, journalist and writing coordinator of EFE in Cuba said that after negotiations between EFE and the International Press Center (CPI) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and between the Embassy of Spain and the Cuban Foreign Ministry, the credentials were returned to the editor Laura Becquer and cameraman Felipe Borrego-

“The other four remain uncredited at the moment and unable to work,” he said on his Twitter account.

Amerise previously said that the withdrawal of the accreditations occurred on Saturday and assured that it is the first time that a news agency has been disabled on the island.

“Today the Cuban government has withdrawn the accreditations of all the journalists and graphics of the Efe Agency in Havana. It is the first time that a news agency has been disabled in the country, and it happens two days before the outlawed March 15th “, he announced on his Twitter account on Saturday night.

A peaceful march organized by the civic group Archipelago to advocate for the release of political prisoners and demand the end of the repression is called for this Monday in Cuba, while Cubans in some 120 cities around the world have confirmed the holding of demonstrations. in support of that action.

The demonstration is considered by the Cuban authorities a plot orchestrated by the United States to overthrow the regime.

Amerise explained that she asked if it was a temporary or permanent measure and “they told me that they still cannot answer me. I also asked them about the reasons (if it is for one or several articles in particular, or for our coverage prior to 15N) but they did not clarify it either ”.

The CPI had denied Amerise a credential last August when it informed her that she no longer had authorization to carry out journalistic work in Cuba, although she could continue to run the office and edit notes from her colleagues at the agency.

“That was as a result of the coverage we did of the July 11 protests. The Cuban authorities argued that Efe had put its editorial line at the service of ‘the counterrevolution,’ ”he commented.

The Cuban regime summoned the two editors, two photographers and a cameraman urgently on Saturday and asked them to return their credentials under “Article 1 of the final provisions of the regulations of foreign press agencies.”

Amerise said that they had found that article, and the closest thing was it was one in which it is indicated that accreditations can be withdrawn when it is considered that the owner carries out actions that are inappropriate or unrelated to his profile and work content, or when considers that it lacks journalistic ethics.

“Today (Saturday) we have published this interview with Yunior García Aguilera (https://efe.com/efe/america/politica/yunior-garcia-aguilera-el-joven-intelectual-que-incomoda-al-gobierno-cubano / 20000035-4675088) and a note about the arrest of Coco Fariñas. We do not know if it has influenced the Cuban government’s decision, “he added.

He added that they were waiting to find a solution and that the agency could again provide “fast, accurate and truthful information, also from Cuba.”

The Cuban journalist and columnist for the Washington Post newspaper, Abraham Jiménez Enoa, denounced this Sunday that he is under house arrest.

“I just went down to throw out the garbage from my house. I could not do it because I am besieged by State Security agents and police. They tell me I’m under house arrest until they decide. This is how you live the hours before # 15N on #Cuba. #SOSCuba #ReportNotCrime”, He said on his Twitter account.

The Inter-American Press Association (IAPA) condemned the new attacks on freedom of expression and the increasing repression launched by the Cuban regime in the last hours. At the same time, he demanded that the government of Miguel Díaz-Canel provide guarantees for the coverage of the civic protest and asked the international community to remain alert to demand that the people be allowed to express themselves in freedom, and that freedom not be impeded exercise of journalistic activity.

“Nothing can stop the claim of freedom of a people; and Cubans have already tasted the taste of freedom, “said Jorge Canahuati, president of the IAPA in a statement.

The State Security quoted last Thursday the regional vice president of the IAPA, Henry Constantín Ferreiro, in “a measure that usually ends with threats due to publications that are made on social networks and with the application of fines,” said that press agency.

“The Díaz-Canel regime intends to cover the sun with a screen, without understanding the magnitude of the social change that is being experienced in Cuba,” said Carlos Jornet, president of the Committee on Freedom of the Press and Information of the continental entity.

This story was originally published on November 14, 2021 9:14 am.

Related articles el Nuevo Herald

Profile photo of Sonia Osorio

Journalist and editor with specialization in Latin America, judicial, business and local issues related to the Latin American community. Much of his career was spent in international news agencies. His research work “Emigrate to death: Venezuelans murdered in Latin America” ​​received the 2019 FSNE and SPJ Sunshine State awards.

Source link

Leave a Comment